Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What THIS day means to me...

I am almost without words this morning. I am still in awe of the moment that happened last night. Yesterday, I was ansy all day (as some know). I couldn't sit still because I knew this day would be the day of all days in my life.

Last night when Barack Obama's name was announced as president of THIS country, I was in awe. I, in that moment, was alone in my house, because I had decided that I wanted to be very much in the moment, with my feelings and thoughts... And in that moment I felt an emotion that almost can't be described.... And I realized in that moment that my eyes had just witnessed what will probably be the most profound moment of my life. And the great things about it was that it was shared by so many not only this country but around the world.

My first thoughts were of this new first family. When Michelle, with her two daughters, came on stage, I thought about my childhood as a little black girl that grew up in a time where there werent very many images that illustrated what life is REALLY like for me and my family. I thought about my niece, who is three, and how seeing a black man and his family as the FIRST family will be the norm for her. I thought about the power of images... It's one thing to live in a country where you are told "you are equal" or "you are just as qualified" but it's another when you actually SEE the equality reflected back to you on the television screen. Then I thought about the black community-- little black boys who could emulate and imitate someone other than a basketball star and rapper. Little black girls who could see a lovely woman who is strong and successful and powerful in her own right but can equally be the support and back bone of her man. I thought of the powerful image of seeing a united black family and the impact this will have on our community-- that this is a testament of what can happen when families stick together, when a man loves his woman and a woman supports her man. It showed me what can happen when people stick it through in their relationships. I know their relationship and marriage hasnt been easy and there were probably many highs and lows, but it is something so cool to see the power of the black couple.

I felt that Barack's speech was very poignant and somber with a purpose. He charged me and the rest of us to continue this fight because although he is our leader, he cant make these changes alone, like he didnt win this election alone. I hope people REALLY heard this. Change comes from the collection of everyone's hearts, spirits, and hard work.

And finally last night I thought about the "audacity of hope", the audacity to dream, the audacity of faith and what this truly means, particualry in my life. I am a dreamer and I have spent many moments and many nights dreaming about what my life would turn out to be. I have many hopes for my life but during these trying times in our nation, in the black community, in our relationships with one another, some nights I questioned it; some moments, I wasnt completely sure if my hopes would be actualized. I still dont know what is in store for me and my life even now as I am facing some difficult crossroads. But the "audacity" of my hopes for the things I have always dreamed of will keep me moving on and moving ahead and waiting for what just maybe around the next corner. It maybe only be a night away. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment