Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Got The Holiday Ho Hums?... Anyone?... Anyone?

So tomorrow marks the official beginning of the holiday season and I already got the Holiday Ho Hums. It didnt really hit me until this week when people started to ask me what I was doing for Thanksgiving and I responded in a very non-enthused tone... "I'm going home".

Why am I not enthused? Well for one, I have done T-Day and Christmas at home every year of my life --- that's 25 years of the same thing! (lol). And as a friend summed it up so pointedly: "Since my sister and I have been adults and she has inherited in-laws, T-Day dinner has been reduced to just my mom, dad, Great-Aunt Bessie, and me sitting across from some random man my parents invited who I think likes to "make eyes" with me. And last year we didn't even eat off the good plates at the dining room table".... Ho Hum, Ho Hum.

And Christmas isn't much different. Unless you have children (which I don't have) or young nieces and nephews that you can visit on Christmas morning, the Christmas thrill left you at age 19 when your parents' gift was a receipt for your spring semester college tuition payment.... Ho Hum, Ho Hum.

So what am I going to do about my 2008 Holiday Ho Hums? Nothing. At least not this year, but I have already decided and planned to do something different next year and I won't pack any guilt feelings... I think at my old age of 28 (I did say 28, right?), I am realizing that my life has taken a different turn and although my family is an important part of my life, my life also includes other interests, other people, and other things, as it has for some of my family members; My brother is married with a 3 year old and my dad has a new lady friend that occupies his time. And this is okay that my brother's life is in another chapter and my dad's life has started anew. So now it's my turn to start the next chapter of my life... Jamaica 2009 holiday.... Anyone?... Anyone? -)

Until then, I will go home this year and be thankful for the family I have...because I am. I am thankful for the endless memories, the love, the laughter, and the great soul-food my grandmother has prepared for us year after year that always filled my belly and my spirit... Through it all, my family has loved me and supported me in everything that I have done; No Ho Hums about that... instead I am forever grateful... SP

No comments:

Post a Comment