Thursday, February 18, 2010

This could be a good one...

So every year after all this V-day business, my birthday comes a week later. Most of the time, I let the day do its thing, I think, "I'm glad to be here" & other birthday-like yada yada yadas, but I can usually count on my day unraveling like so...
  • My mom will call at the time I was born (7:25am) and will go through the day of my birth. She will always remind me that when I was first born, she looked at me strangely and said to the doctor's, "Who is this child???" I was bald-headed and beet red.
  • My brother will call and do the older brother thing, by telling me how we are getting older and other folks in our family and in the world are wasting time (Gotta get the sober reality talk from at least one person, right???:P).
  • Then sometime throughout the day, my girls will call me. Someone will inevitably attempt to sing me a song, usually with a rap (I think this year it will be you, MM). I will also have to remind at least one of them how old I am and we will have to get into a conversation as to how I am oldest amongst my girlfriends in the A (but never mistaken as such). :)
  • My dad will call and he will go through everyone's birthday in the family... "Your birthday is in February, your uncle is in January, then there's several birthdays in July... Your brother's birthday is July 2nd, then it's your mother's, right???, I'm September..."
  • Let's see... Oh! My grandparents will call and say, "Happy Birthday, baaaaay-beee!" I will also have to tell them how old I am, my grandmother will be shocked, and wonder when I'm gonna find somebody.
  • I will get a Vicky Secret birthday coupon in the mail to come and pick up my free panty.

I am very thankful for my yearly birthday line-up because I am reminded (in very unusual ways) how much I am loved... (Even the lingerie store thinks enough of me to say that I need a new set of panties for my big day). As usual, I am doing nothing over the top to celebrate, except hangin' out with some good friends, drinking the best margaritas in town, and doing some ol' skool dancing (I decided after last week's musings that margaritas are my friend).

But surprisingly, as I approach this upcoming bday with no more enthusiasm than any other bday, I keep hearing a voice that says, "Wait SP! This could be a good one"...

Ok, not big on voices (and in my profession, voices aren't really looked upon favorably), but this one has gotten me intrigued especially since it has somehow broken thru my present 30+flirty funk... Maybe this year will bring me... an answer to my latest SP life dilemnas... OR a winning lottery ticket! A job halfway across the world! A visit to "Parie"!

So, what do I do to figure out this voice's elusive message??? I go to wikipedia (LOL) and it says my forthcoming age is a natural number that represents.... the atomic number of Arsenic and is the number printed on all Rolling Rock beer... Um, not really the answer I was looking for but either which way the year goes, I hope that voice was on to something... This could be a good one. :)

--SP (the birthday girl).

3 comments:

  1. smh..we looked for you all night on ya birthday..we even followed this short person with balloons tied to her hair around the room..it obviously wasn't you..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was there but everyone else and they mammas and their hair dos was up in the piece. I never seen so many black folks! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. That's wassup.

    ReplyDelete