Thursday, July 23, 2009

Will I ever call him by name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet?"

Nope. Sorry dear Juliet but in THIS millenium when you are over 30, single, and are very much in the dating world, a rose by any other name puts Romeo in his place.

Sizzler, The Wayward Rev, Dr. Do-little, Ever Ready, Teacher Friend, Corporate, Young Thing, -- and the list goes on of the names my girls and I have coined for the many dates of our lives. (Oh Beau, you wanna know which thou art you? Take a guess.) :)

At first my girls and I conferred these beloved pseudonyms for the pure fun and amusement and sometimes for nothing else, to laugh to keep from crying over single girl dating drama... "Sizzler?"... because he thought the hot date was taking a woman to the Western Sizzler... "Two Foo?" came from a girls v. boys Taboo game where correct pronunciation wasn't considered necessary by the male team. (It's Tofu dude, Tofu!) LOL... "Ever Ready?", well what can I say, that man was ALWAYS ready." :P

Then I began to wonder would Summer Lover, Bobblehead, or Mystery Man take offense to our naming ceremonies... but then I figured nahhhh, men do it too as my crew is affectionately known by some in the A as The Hens, guest starring, No Strings, The Doctor, Freckles & Dark Cloud... Yes, I know this whole idea may sound silly to you and often times it was us being silly gabbing about our single lives... ("You're dating a 25 year old slickster dude who works as a mortician?! Ah, and he would be The Undertaker")... But at some unknown turning point, bestowing pseudonyms became part of the dating rite of passage that most men had to pass through, especially the ones that had a chance with us. I think it helped us create a peculiar but necessary emotional distance from them while caught in the web of dating. So to finally call the "him" I'm seeing by name amongst the girls is a symbolic moment in that he finally earned a place and space in my life. Not to sound vainglorious but all us single women know you kiss a-MANY of frogs in hopes to finally kiss your prince...

So there may be a day I will be able to call him by name, but who knows, maybe I already have... Who you ask? SP nor her girls will ever tell but my heart knows. :) --SP

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I never use actual names. Who can keep up with "James", "John" and "Steve"? nicknames totally make it easier to remember who is who when storytelling time comes around :-)

    ReplyDelete